WHO ARE WE?
SmartSearch has a unique Anti Money Laundering verification platform bringing together both individual and business searches for the UK and International markets. In 2020 we were recognized by both the Financial Times as one of the Top 600 fastest-growing companies in Europe and placed in the Sunday Times Tech Track 100.
Our latest technology delivers an unrivaled user experience enabling our users to comply with the latest Anti Money Laundering regulations. SmartSearch has grown rapidly since its inception in late 2011, fostering an incredibly collaborative and supportive culture, and we continue to have ambitious growth plans which make us a truly exciting place to work.
We are looking to recruit a Group Financial Controller, responsible for the delivery of strategic finance projects and managing the Group Finance function including consolidation and external reporting (including IFRS), Tax and Treasury, Risk and Controls.
We are a fast-growing Private Equity backed FinTech company with a strong UK brand and increasing international presence in the US and EU.
This is a new role within SmartSearch that is required to support our high growth business as it continues to scale. This is a high-profile role within the business, taking overall ownership for technical finance matters and delivering on strategic finance projects to support the business as it grows. The Group Financial Controller will report directly to the Finance Director and will have line management responsibility for between one and four direct reports
- Delivery of strategic finance projects in order to help drive profitable growth and professionalise the business to help with scalability.
- Preparation of annual statutory accounts for group entities (presently 6 companies) including UK and overseas entities, and group consolidation.
- Ownership of the statutory audit process, working closely with the group’s auditors.
- Part of a team responsible for preparing the consolidated annual budget, working closely with the FP&A team and other internal stakeholders.
- Ownership of technical finance matters for example assessing the impact of changes in accounting standards, appraising accounting policies, and accounting for complex areas.
- Management of Tax and Treasury, including working closely with the group’s tax advisers in the UK and overseas.
- Line management responsibility for between one and four direct reports.
- Coaching and developing people across the finance team.
WHY WORK FOR US?
- Opportunity to have strategic input in a fast-growing PE-backed FinTech business
- Excellent teamwork and collaborative, results-focused environment
- Our excellent benefits package and commitment to employee welfare
- High-profile role with an already firmly established Finance Team allowing the space to focus on key strategic and technical projects
- Our fantastic offices in the heart of Ilkley within easy walking distance of Ilkley train station
WHAT IS LIFE LIKE AT SMARTSEARCH?
- We enjoy our fantastic modern office in the heart of Ilkley, designed with employee welfare and fulfilment in mind. It is within a 5-minute walk of Ilkley train station; making it easily commutable from surrounding areas such as Leeds and Bradford; and includes 4 kitchens, reading space, an onsite gym, onsite parking, gaming area, pool table and tennis table, free fruit delivered weekly
- Excellent progression opportunities within our company growth plans based on personal development goals and regular feedback and reviews
- Training and development is provided by talented team members, enthusiastic leadership and industry experts
- Our excellent benefits package includes 25 days annual leave rising with each year of employment up to a maximum of 30 days per year.
- Annual bonus scheme based on hitting agreed targets
- Employee referral bonus
- Various weekly recognition schemes
- Employee engagement and activities committee that plans activities throughout the year
- Two big company celebrations per year - summer and Christmas party
- Company pension scheme, comprehensive private medical scheme and life insurance
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN A CANDIDATE?
- The successful candidate will be looking for a varied, challenging career opportunity in a fast paced, growing, private equity backed technology business.
- ACA or ACCA qualified accountant with five years or more post qualification experience.
- Good organisational, prioritisation and project management skills.
- Strong accounting technical knowledge including FRS102 and IFRS.
- Understanding of tax, treasury and consolidation processes.
- Experience of introducing new ideas and driving improvement.
- Experience of businesses that operate internationally.
- Experience of people management and enthusiasm to coach and develop people.
- Proactive, self motivated person with an analytical approach and attention to detail